One of the first things you should do when an appliance breaks down is to see if it is covered by a service agreement or warranty. Different companies cover warranties in different ways, so make sure you call the company and ask for clarification on appliance repair service through the warranty. Some will reimburse you for repairs, while others may have different requirements that you need to consider. Also, remember that you could void the warranty if you try to fix the appliance yourself, so consider that before trying to do it yourself.
If there is no longer a warranty on your appliance, you may want to attempt to figure out the problem yourself. Make sure you have the owner’s manual before you try repairing it. The manual might have some troubleshooting ideas that might help fix the problem.
If you aren’t mechanically inclined, the next idea might be the best idea – find an appliance repair service. An industry professional will help get your appliance working again quickly and with minimal downtime.
Don’t just Google any appliance repair company; look for one with an outstanding reputation. Ask a family member or friend for recommendations. If you can’t get a referral from someone you trust, look for online reviews. If that doesn’t help, look for an appliance repair company that is a member of the Better Business Bureau.
Once you have found a company, you will want to ask them a few questions when you call. Questions to ask include:
1. How soon can they come to your house to make the repair?
2. Do they guarantee their work and their parts? For how long?
3. Ask about their fees. Do they provide a written estimate? What do they charge for service calls?
4. Some major repairs require special considerations. Gas, electrical, radiation and refrigeration repairs require technicians with specific experience and qualifications. Ask if they have those qualifications.
5. Can they provide you with any references?
At the end of the day, hiring a professional appliance repair company is a smart option. It saves you time, effort, and stress. If they guarantee their work, it also saves you from any concerns about having to repair the appliance again in a short time.